How bad is your addiction?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
My addiction isn't too bad. Budding, if you will.
I have two Heterometrus laoticus, two Grammostola rosea, and two juvenile Hoffmannius spinigerus on the way! I started out with one rosea, and two laoticus, but recently got my second rosea. She(I think!) is quite a doll with a lot of character already. Scaling the enclosures and stuff.
Eventually I would like more, but on top of six frogs and two cats I have quite a handful ;)

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I feel as though it is not so much an addiction for me as a hobby. Right now I just have 8 T's and am likely going to be purchasing a few more. I am still in highschool and don't really have the money to go on a arachnid shopping spree. My collection will likely grow in the next few years. Hopefully.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can buy sleeves of deli cups and lids (in various sizes) at restaurant supply stores for a few dollars a sleeve.
Could you please name one of these restaurant supply stores?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lacey

Arachnopeon
I have my license to grow and smoke medical marijuana here in Canada and it's flipping awesome. Growing is very rewarding, and if I could legally make money from doing it I would, but selling to anyone other than a licensed producer is illegal.

To the OP, my addiction has gotten a lot better since the baby. My collection used to be filled with slings because I would go on online shopping rampages. I used to love getting parcels and unboxing them

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Gorgon Food Services (GFS) is one of them. Not sure whether you have them in NJ, however.
+1. GFS has them. But you can do a search for local restaurant supply stores. So much easier, and cheaper, to buy them by the sleeve.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
my addiction isnt bad. i currently have 2 and been waiting on 2 others for a wiel [was supposed to be 3 had a doa and one wasnt shipped on accident] then got a surprize with my scorpion shipment a b.albo. so 3 turned to 4 [wasnt my fault XD]

i have debated on getting 1 more. but thats only because im impatient and i want one who i dont need binoculars to see 4ft infront of my bed lol -.- other then that im content with my 2, to a degree. just want something bigger

but im not to the point i want one of each genius. or anything. i wanted just 1 arboreal 1 digger/humid species and 1 "pretty" T im content.. i have willpower :) i have 9 snakes and am always looking on kingsnake but never reach for my wallet. just look around to occupy my spare time at work [inbound call center overnights] ^_^ ;P

snakes to me are pretty addicting to me but i manage.. but being 20 and no real responsibility i have the money to spend. but i do plan them all. make sure the breeding food is stable to support the new mouth and that the extra time for rehoming and husbandry is there.. as is i spend a 8hr day cleaning everything. pulling out all the feeders for all animals and feedings.. tho 20 more T's wouldnt kill my pocket or watch. but id rather keep it to a very sane level lmao

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Only one of each genus?
thats part of the starting point no? :p or is hoarding mass amounts of one genius and branching the starting point? lmao

edit: i should have said the starting point of somone not wishing to breed or maybe someone who just finds each species one unique but has no intentions of sacks*at this time*? :p

Last edited:

Oreo

Arachnocookie
thats part of the starting point no? :p or is hoarding mass amounts of one genius and branching the starting point? lmao

edit: i should have said the starting point of somone not wishing to breed or maybe someone who just finds each species one unique but has no intentions of sacks*at this time*? :p
We'll check back in a year to see how many you have :) BTW, genus is spelled without an i. Unless you meant to spell it that way.. As far as hobby addiction, I vacillate between denial and pre-contemplation. Then I buy twenty Ts and it's all good.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
thats part of the starting point no? :p or is hoarding mass amounts of one genius and branching the starting point?
We prefer to call it 'collecting', not 'hoarding.' Most people don't get 'mass amounts' of one genus, but often have 2 or 3 species in a genus they like. Some genera are monotypic, and in others, there's only one species in captivity.

Breeding your adult females is how many of us get more spiders free. Be open-minded.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
We'll check back in a year to see how many you have :) BTW, genus is spelled without an i. Unless you meant to spell it that way.. As far as hobby addiction, I vacillate between denial and pre-contemplation. Then I buy twenty Ts and it's all good.
Hahaha what do i win if i havnt bought any more? A free T? ;) xD

And my bad typo x3

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 03-19-2014 at 10:17 AM ----------

We prefer to call it 'collecting', not 'hoarding.' Most people don't get 'mass amounts' of one genus, but often have 2 or 3 species in a genus they like. Some genera are monotypic, and in others, there's only one species in captivity.

Breeding your adult females is how many of us get more spiders free. Be open-minded.
I was kidding on hoarding and i do have an open mind i see nothing wrong with someone having 200 mf of each genus so long as they can care for them i think its awesome! i just dont find it so addicting at this point in time. Now i think every T is cool in its own way and beautiful. But i just dont have that drive at this current time.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I think you should be able to keep as many as you want if it is something you enjoy and you take proper care of them all. But I know I do not have the time or energy to keep 300 tarantulas so I just buy the ones that I really like. I have alot of Brachys haha

awiec

Arachnoprince
I *try* to be sensible with my purchases, I usually evaluate these 3 main criteria: Is it interesting? Can I master its care requirements? Can I afford it/ wait for it to be cheaper? I think I've done relatively well, I usually only let myself get something new every 2 months. As of right now I am caring for 13: P.metallica (my bf's), P.perdensi (my bf's), P.regalis, A.versicolor(sister might steal this one),T.gigas, H. sp Columbia,C.darlingi (probably my nicest spider aside from my versi),G.pulchripes,P. sp platyomma, O. sp panay, P. sp Purple, P.muticus (freebie) and A.anax (freebie). I also had like 7 wild spiders but all but one has died of old age. Of course I remember saying I would NEVER get a baboon, now here I am with 2 and will probably get several more. Once I have a steady job and place to live I will start buying doubles of some of the species that are more of a mess like the Pamphobeteus genus to see how much variation there is. I also have a collection of plants to go with my spiders, so I just like collections of living things in general. But each one I give individualized care ( had to peel the KB out of a bad molt) and I give each a little name so I grow a better bond, usually ending with an eey sound since that makes it sound more cute and less threatening (seems to work on my sisters)

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
I managed to all but completely kick my addiction. I had given my brother complete ownership of my 13 spider collection. Ever since me and my wife moved to a house of our own, Tarantulas were never a topic of discussion. My collection had a 10 year old female b. Smithi, a huge p. Pederseni, a p. Ruflata, and a few other small slings.

About a month ago my brother tells me i need to take the spiders, or he is going to give them to a member that has a sizable collection, to be sold out. I begged and pleaded with my wife to let me bring them into the house, and finally she allowed it, with the stipulation that if one escapes, they are all gone...

Now I got a 24 spider collection... Including 2 female p. Metallicas)... Dear god i am freaking out because a few of these spiders are in desperate need of rehoming, or house cleaning... And I have a feeling some of them will not cooperate (looking in the direction of 2 L violacepes).... Dear god help me please?

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
Never let a roommate dictate your hobby :D
problem is, spouses are not your typical room mate... Room mates dont usually follow you from one place to another... Its crazy isnt it. On a lighter side, my brother did leave me with 7 large enclosures (I think terrapet) for permanent arboreal housing. So i at least have the places to put them, I just need to man up and practice safe s.... Uh spider rehoming.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
problem is, spouses are not your typical room mate... Room mates dont usually follow you from one place to another... Its crazy isnt it. On a lighter side, my brother did leave me with 7 large enclosures (I think terrapet) for permanent arboreal housing. So i at least have the places to put them, I just need to man up and practice safe s.... Uh spider rehoming.
My friend had a gf who tolerated all his exotics (they were going to live together). They had one of those "big" talks. She felt a limit/absolute number needed to be put down in stone. In not so many words he told her to go jump off a bridge, specifically "if I have the cash, I'm building separate herp/T rooms, number is a non-issue". They moved in, only requirement, all animals (no numerical limit) he purchased had to fit into one room, couldn't be spread around the apt like it was when he was living alone. Reasonable compromise I told him, anything more and I told him to just hand over his manhood and buy a skirt instead of crickets.

For smaller sized Ts, I strongly advocate the Bag Transfer Method. Search on forum here if you aren't familiar. It works perfectly for smaller Ts. For a large T, like a 5+ P. rufilata, not sure yet, I'll let you know when I get there hahah