PLANNING my next acquisition

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definitely wouldn't suggest A. genics if you're intimidated by speed...then again, based on how my LD slings behave I wouldn't recommend Lasiodora species either unless they calm down when they get older (not holding my breath LOL). Both my A. genics and my LDs are showing their potential for speed and defensiveness. The larger slings will attack anything that enters their enclosure - the larger of my two A. genic in particular attacks the glass water dropper I use to refill its water dish with an audible impact, and it's just a few millimeters under an inch at this point. I can't wait to see how its attitude changes as it matures - should be an interesting member of the extended family, that's for sure. :)

I might have recommended a B. vagans a couple months ago, but my tune has changed on that for a few reasons. They get larger than most other brachys, for one thing; and based on what I've read from personal accounts of people who have more experience handling them, they can be faster and more defensive than most other brachys as well. You'd probably do well with a B. albopilosum - they've got a good reputation as a beginner T, though be warned none of the species considered to be good for a beginner are going to fit typical characteristics 100% of the time. Jon3800 has vids of a B. albo that tries to bite anything that touches it.

I don't have personal experience with them, but I'll echo other people recommending G. pulchra and E. campestratus - I've heard great things, and I want to add them to my own collection badly.
I did a rehouse of my LP a while ago, and things went well. The only issue was my paranoid sister came in halfway through and pestered me to wear gloves because of the injuries I received from the GBBs hairs. I ignored her long enough to get it in the container. The two LPs I've worked with are very obedient and although they can move in short bursts of speed, they are short enough to be able to react to it and get things back in your control. Also my my Aphonopelmas are defensive, but they will do what you want when you rehouse them.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I did a rehouse of my LP a while ago, and things went well. The only issue was my paranoid sister came in halfway through and pestered me to wear gloves because of the injuries I received from the GBBs hairs. I ignored her long enough to get it in the container. The two LPs I've worked with are very obedient and although they can move in short bursts of speed, they are short enough to be able to react to it and get things back in your control. Also my my Aphonopelmas are defensive, but they will do what you want when you rehouse them.
Indeed my two haven't been complicated to house and rehouse. Well at least at the sizes mine are, so far. But my larger one is more prone to kick hairs at you when you are telling him where to go. And he sometimes likes to investigate things with his teeth first. The smaller one is easy when exposed, but she seemed mad at me in the catch cup after being in there for a while. But maybe a slap or two. Then calm and easy to get back home.

But their crazy speed is indeed in short bursts. So catch cups are a simple solution. It's just remarkable how quick such a big spider closes that gap. Sprinters lol

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The problem with an A. geniculata is that som- alright I'll just flat out say who is this time, Storm76 said that they are fast, and if you read the thread I talked about you would see that my GBB almost escaped while I tried to rehouse it. So is it just his specimen that is like that or is that their general disposition? G. pulchras are too expensive :(
First off, what I stated about my A. geniculata wasn't meant to scare, just something to keep in mind. In general, these are simply very hungry, some quite territorial (enclosure = territory), big tarantulas that look strikingly beautiful. Like it has been pointed out, I too, get insane itching sensation if she decides to flick her bristles. Rehoused my now big girl 3 times during the time I have her and all of those went smoothly - after she attacked the prodding tool! I believe those keepers having "docile" geniculatas, but their usual disposition is far from that in my opinion. They are defensive. They can be quite fast if they want to and they generally don't move slow and deliberate if disturbed, like most Bracyhs or Grammostolas would. Mine, and those I've seen at friends, usually sprint short distances.

Bottom line here on that subject is that you can end up with a quite docile (I don't like using this term with Acanthoscurria spp. in general) specimen, chances are though - you won't. If you are not sure you can deal with them, stay away. If you think you can adapt raising a sling of them, that might be an idea, but I would by no means suggest an adult or juvie to you at this point. No offense.

Get a P.Irimia...if you can handle fast species, they are fast but stunning, I got mine a few days ago and its only used its hide a few times. Its got strong venom so that's one down point. And its pretty defensive..
Mate, very bad suggestion for the user. Someone having trouble with GBBs will be in over their head with a Psalm, especially because those aren't only teleporting, they are also defensive and will bite readily if given the chance. As slings they're already fast and they become increasingly more bold while growing. Awesome T's, I really love them, but I don't think Driller would at this point.

Personally, I would probably wait to get any new T's. Raise those you have for now, get used to their behavior, speed, habits. When -you- feel you're comfy with doing all the stuff required keeping them, that's the time where I'd seek a new addition. None of us can tell you do or don't, we only give suggestions. It is yourself who must be confident with a new acquisition.

Species I'd suggest then:
Brachypelma spp. - smithi most likely (not auratum / boehmei though, as they're more prone to flick bristles on the slightest disturbance...mine fit that reputation)
Grammostola spp. - pulchripes or puchra are both very beautiful, generally on the slow moving side but given they're Grammys "moody"
Euathlus spp. - "blue femur" are somewhat skittish, but slower than GBBs for sure. sp. "red" are excessively slow growing but IMO the "most docile" T's out there generally

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My LP male is nearly an adult now with his most recent molt. And best of all, he finally has his adult coloring! :D The GBB could take a while because of its habit of molting slowly when cold weather comes around. The two Aphonopelmas are already adults it looks like, but that I cannot be sure of until they molt again, which could take a while :(

But on a less serious note, does anyone need a MM LP? I would like this ones DNA to be passed on.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Picture here of my male LP. As you can see, it's (almost) got adult coloring:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412293741.041695.jpg

awiec

Arachnoprince
Adult coloring means nothing, LPs usually get to the 7 inch range so if he was around 5-6 inches I would certainly believe it but he's not a true adult any way until he gets his emboli.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Adult coloring means nothing, LPs usually get to the 7 inch range so if he was around 5-6 inches I would certainly believe it but he's not a true adult any way until he gets his emboli.
The point was not to convince you he was a true adult. The point to show that he is CLOSE to being there.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The point was not to convince you he was a true adult. The point to show that he is CLOSE to being there.
Little guy still looks like he has some time, I was sayin he don't look very close to being an adult. I know these things grow fast but he still has a while before then.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright so I've decided to get two of the B. albiceps slings from Paul. Here's the math I did:

1/2-3/4" Brachypelma albiceps $16.00 Qty: 2

Subtotal: $32.00

Shipping: $39.00

TOTAL: $71.00

This is only they are still in stock by the time spring comes around. I will not order them now because of cold danger. However, if I go to a reptile show and find slings for a good price, I'll get them there. This is probably the next show I'm going to: http://www.eastcoastreptilesuperexpos.com .

gobey

Arachnoknight
Dude why are you paying $39 for shipping?

Is that really his price? I've never paid more than $15 shipping. Usually less. And from people selling good priced healthy Ts. Just saying. Shop again in springtime. :)

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude why are you paying $39 for shipping?

Is that really his price? I've never paid more than $15 shipping. Usually less. And from people selling good priced healthy Ts. Just saying. Shop again in springtime. :)
Priority? I mean, despite no LAG, if the seller is at least a competent shippers Ts will likely be fine, particularly if the shipment is from too far.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Priority? I mean, despite no LAG, if the seller is at least a competent shippers Ts will likely be fine, particularly if the shipment is from too far.
USPS 2 day priority mail. With LAG for every order. I've never had a DOA and never had it take more than 2 days. Have had 6 different total tarantula shipping transactions using this method from California, Florida, South Carolina, to my home in Rhode Island.

I paid $15 once for priority shipping, and $10 3 times. Look around for private breeders and vendors over the big distributors is all I'm saying to get a deal. Why pay $40 shipping to buy 2 slings?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Alright so I've decided to get two of the B. albiceps slings from Paul. Here's the math I did:

Shipping: $39.00

TOTAL: $71.00

This is only they are still in stock by the time spring comes around. I will not order them now because of cold danger. However, if I go to a reptile show and find slings for a good price, I'll get them there. This is probably the next show I'm going to: http://www.eastcoastreptilesuperexpos.com .
If the shipping is more than the Ts it's not worth it. As I said before, don't bother ordering from Paul when you can get this very common and cheap species from smaller breeders with better shipping prices. In the spring there is no reason for 1 day shipping, I've only used that once when it was the polar vortex.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
So far I've had two spider shipping transactions, a dubia starter colony, and some mealworms. The dubias and mealworms were pretty cheap shipped 2 day priority and they were fine. Well, mostly. My mealworms experienced an estimated approx. 25 - 30 percent die off. My friend and I have a deal with spiders.. whenever one of us orders spiders we see if the other wants to piggy back the order and order some or one for themselves and then we split the shipping. It's usually 30 dollars with LAG so we each pay 15 shipping and it works for us. The shipping that's cheaper than that from what I've seen on the classifieds has been between 30 and 40 for shipping if you want LAG shipper will only ship LAG on overnight. Any cheaper than that you have to go with the 2 or 3 day priority.. and I'm kind of the nervous sort.. I don't think I'll ever really be comfortable with 2 or three day shipping, especially with no LAG..

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Priority shipping version:

Shipping: $16.00

TOTAL: $48.00

See, much better :)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Priority shipping version:

Shipping: $16.00

TOTAL: $48.00

See, much better :)
I really suggest you not nail your purchase to one particular location. Come spring there's a very good chance you will be able to find it cheaper or similarly priced elsewhere. Every 10-15 dollar shipping have paid for in the classifieds HAD LAG, and came with freebies despite a small order. Both things a larger online dealer typically won't or can't offer. Seriously, the classifieds are a godsend for hobbyists as the smaller dealers/breeders are looking to move spiders and would rather not sit on them awaiting the best prices. Many of these guys are in it for the hobby, not the cash influx. Keep your eyes peeled and you will be able to find the best deal for you, there's a lot of great sellers out there.

Good luck in the spring, I hope everything works out for you come ordering time!!

gobey

Arachnoknight
/\
+1
Exactly what he said. Watch that freebie thing. It'll expand your collection unexpectedly lol.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
Hopefully not with an OBT...
Wise man says take the B. albo, refuse the H. mac.

I have no comments as to what I did...

But I'll have you know that like drugs, you can just say no to OW freebies. I knew a dealer who gave newbie and advanced freebie options. She was pretty swell. :)

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dunno if I can resist throwing in a G. pulchra in there as well, even though the total will be $93 :S