PLANNING my next acquisition

cold blood

Staff member
Well I just came back from the reptile show. And guess what I bought? You really want to know? Alright. *drum roll*

Nothing.

Oh well, to the Internet dealers, away!
Bummer driller! Time to start browsing the AB classifieds.:)

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also an interesting thing I saw at the reptile show. I saw someone selling a large bucket of around 100 C. darlingi slings for $5.00! Overstock much XD But still since I now know people will become that desperate to get rid of unwanted slings, perhaps I can use a similar scenario that may pop up somewhere to my advantage.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Also an interesting thing I saw at the reptile show. I saw someone selling a large bucket of around 100 C. darlingi slings for $5.00! Overstock much XD But still since I now know people will become that desperate to get rid of unwanted slings, perhaps I can use a similar scenario that may pop up somewhere to my advantage.
As CB said the classified are great cause a lot of small time breeders are here and don't really want to hang onto slings forever so they will be more flexible in prices. Large dealers have the capacity to hold many slings and are a little more patient to get rid of stock. Of course Christmas season is coming so I imagine there will be deals soon.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
I'll give you my 2 cents. If you want one that you can enjoy by holding, playing with it, not worry about it ever going crazy and running, get a Aphonopelma chalcodes. Yes they are not bright colors and not huge. Most of the big colorful ones are not to be "cuddled" and cost. The Aphonopelma chalcodes are very cheap, very tame and live as long or longer than any others. The female 25+ and even the male 15years, because he only matures after 10-12 years. So either way you have a very cheap, very tame, very pertty (blonds) and very long living T. Just as "size aint everything" color aint everything. You would never be afraid of anything from this one.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Aphonopelma chalcodes are very cheap, very tame and live as long or longer than any others... you have a very cheap, very tame, very pertty (blonds) and very long living T.
Chalcodes are very attractive spiders. Even I have some!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sorry to disappoint you but I already have one. And it hates me too :(

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2
Every spider has i's own personality, you just got an exciting one, it should not dissuade you from more.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Every spider has i's own personality, you just got an exciting one, it should not dissuade you from more.
It's from a pet store, so it's probably from years of being abused by humans lol. It cooperated enough for a cage cleaning, but most of the time it will throw a threat posture if you so much as accidentally touch it while removing it's water dish for cleaning. On the plus side though it has the appetite of an LP and never refuses food, to the point where I have now stopped feeding it because it is becoming fat. It also seems to have a strange desire to climb it's cage rather than hide in its hole and poo everywhere like a normal Aphonopelma.

So long story short, it's an oddball in pretty much every respect :)

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Sorry to disappoint you but I already have one. And it hates me too :(

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2
I'm getting it. I have never seen one with a bad attitude. I think they may be the most gentle of all Ts

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's from a pet store, so it's probably from years of being abused by humans lol. It cooperated enough for a cage cleaning, but most of the time it will throw a threat posture if you so much as accidentally touch it while removing it's water dish for cleaning. On the plus side though it has the appetite of an LP and never refuses food, to the point where I have now stopped feeding it because it is becoming fat. It also seems to have a strange desire to climb it's cage rather than hide in its hole and poo everywhere like a normal Aphonopelma.

So long story short, it's an oddball in pretty much every respect :)
Hell I'll take it off your hands, my Aphonopelma just hides all day

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
I don't see that docility in tarantulas is a virtue. They're much more interesting when they're feisty.

True, you're right. But it's nice to have at least one you can take out and interact with without being afraid of getting bit or having it teleport.

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 06:22 PM ----------

I'll breed it and give you some of the spiderlings, will that work?
Good luck finding a 10 year old MM.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I don't see that docility in tarantulas is a virtue. They're much more interesting when they're feisty.
It can go the opposite way.... Like my E. parvulus is interesting in that I know almost anytime I open his enclosure fpr feeding or maintenance It's going to be a challenge to keep him from crawling out onto my hand to go exploring. As if I'm covered with females for him to mate with or,something.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
True, you're right. But it's nice to have at least one you can take out and interact with without being afraid of getting bit or having it teleport.
Why take any of them out? Look at it from a spider's point-of-view. It's their home, their territory, and Godzilla comes by once in a while to grab them. For what?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Agreed. I like feisty in any animal. My favorite cat was also devil spawn sent from hell to torture and torment two legged creatures. My favorite snake was a harmless looking little candy cane corn... That would tag you at least five times before you could blink. Etc. :)

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Why take any of them out? Look at it from a spider's point-of-view. It's their home, their territory, and Godzilla comes by once in a while to grab them. For what?
Why not????? I know I will as many times as it will let me. Better that it knows I'm not something thats going to eat it. Much better to interact with things I care about. I know many that get as many Ts as they can and throw a cricket in once in awhile and thats it. Great life for the T. Guess I'm different than most.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Much better to interact with things I care about.
Not really. You feel the same way about venomous snakes? I used to have cobras. Most animals don't like to 'interact' with humans. Most of those that do are domesticated.