PLANNING my next acquisition

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jamie was supposed to be breeding both G. pulchra and B. albiceps, but she said in her email to me that she had trouble this year breeding both. I hope she has better luck in 2015 :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The best way to 'plan your next acquisition' is to have a list of a few species you really want, and look for super deal on them. One may turn out to be much better-priced than the others (a dealer may be overstocked on that species and blowing them out, a member here may hatch some out and want to move them cheap, etc). That's when you make your move. Pick up each species when a golden opportunity comes up.

It's also best to get at least 3 of that species, to ensure that you get a female out of it. When they grow and you can sex them, keep what you want and sell/trade the rest on the classifieds here (breeders are always looking for males). What you make on those will cover the cost of the original several slings. So you basically get spiders for free (a concept many people don't understand).

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
The best way to 'plan your next acquisition' is to have a list of a few species you really want, and look for super deal on them. One may turn out to be much better-priced than the others (a dealer may be overstocked on that species and blowing them out, a member here may hatch some out and want to move them cheap, etc). That's when you make your move. Pick up each species when a golden opportunity comes up.

It's also best to get at least 3 of that species, to ensure that you get a female out of it. When they grow and you can sex them, keep what you want and sell/trade the rest on the classifieds here (breeders are always looking for males). What you make on those will cover the cost of the original several slings. So you basically get spiders for free (a concept many people don't understand).

That I'm repeatedly trying to explain to my husband lol

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I'm getting two slings because B. albiceps is a reasonably uncommon species, so I will be able to breed them when they mature and give them away at low prices. Which is unlike those that sell 1/2"ers at $50 or something. That way the species will be more common, if only a little bit more. So yeah basically going to be Robin Hood, but for tarantulas.

Also I will have to settle for only 1 G. pulchra sling since they are so friggin expensive :(

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
L
Yeah, that's part of the reason why I'm getting two slings because B. albiceps is a reasonably uncommon species, so I will be able to breed them when they mature and give them away at low prices. Which is unlike those that sell 1/2"ers at $50 or something. That way the species will be more common, if only a little bit more. So yeah basically going to be Robin Hood, but for tarantulas.

Also I will have to settle for only 1 G. pulchra sling since they are so friggin expensive :(

You don't want to undercut to severely.. You might wind up making the situation worse. If you make it so that there's no incentive to breed that species then breeders may move on to different species... Just playing devils advocate here.

awiec

Arachnoprince

The best way to make a species more common is well to make more of them. You need to balance over saturating the market with making sure the species keeps a healthy population in the hobby. Sure you don't have to sell them for 50 for 1/2, maybe do 40 for 1/2 instead. These do grow slow so I certainly don't blame people for selling them a little higher as it does take a while to raise them and if your male dies then you have to start again with raising a new one for 5 years or hope you can find another.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, that's part of the reason why I'm getting two slings because B. albiceps is a reasonably uncommon species, so I will be able to breed them when they mature and give them away at low prices. Which is unlike those that sell 1/2"ers at $50 or something.
Albiceps have been very common lately, slings have been selling for 15-35 bucks for 1/2-3/4" slings since spring from what I have seen in the classifieds here. I've even seen them offered as freebies on a few occasions.

Mine were 20 bucks a piece at 1/2" this past spring

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Albiceps have been very common lately, slings have been selling for 15-35 bucks for 1/2-3/4" slings since spring from what I have seen in the classifieds here. I've even seen them offered as freebies on a few occasions.

Mine were 20 bucks a piece at 1/2" this past spring
That is true, but certain T species have a tendency to phase out of existence from time to time so I hope to at least lessen the intervals between this particular species "sold out" period.

There is a reptile show on Nov 1st. If they have any of the species I want there, should I get them there or wait until spring?

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
That is true, but certain T species have a tendency to phase out of existence from time to time so I hope to at least lessen the intervals between this particular species "sold out" period.

There is a reptile show on Nov 1st. If they have any of the species I want there, should I get them there or wait until spring?
I guess it's all a matter of what you want & what you can afford. You may see something at the expo that will take your mind off the pulchra (hopefully not). :)

We have an oversaturation of B. albo & LP's up here at the moment, so they are dirt cheap. On the other hand, there are other species that are almost impossible to get one's hands on. A 1.5" X. immanis will run you $125, and a 2" M. mesomelas is $200. A 1/2" P. sazimai is a staggering $165. :(

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess it's all a matter of what you want & what you can afford. You may see something at the expo that will take your mind off the pulchra (hopefully not). :)

We have an oversaturation of B. albo & LP's up here at the moment, so they are dirt cheap. On the other hand, there are other species that are almost impossible to get one's hands on. A 1.5" X. immanis will run you $125, and a 2" M. mesomelas is $200. A 1/2" P. sazimai is a staggering $165. :(
I would get a G pulchra but they are crazy expensive at reptile shows. I saw one that was $50 for a 1" sling there the last time I went to one. I remember B albiceps being slightly cheaper but it could be affordable now since they are so common.

Also I have a HUGE desire for 2 more species: P. cancerides and N. chromatus. I know P. cancerides aren't the friendliest of Ts but are they manageable as slings cause that's what I would want to buy this species as.

Last edited:

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I would get a G pulchra but they are crazy expensive at reptile shows. I saw one that was $50 for a 1" sling there the last time I went to one.......
Hmm.... I picked up a 1.25" pulchra sling for a friend last month, and paid $55 for it, so it seems to be a pretty much standard price, on both sides of the border.

I traded Lythsalicaria one of my regalis slings for an N. chromatus. Haven't seen it much, it spends most of its time being a hole in the ground. Looking forward to it getting bigger & coming out more. :)

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I picked up 2 G. pulchra for $42 each that were 3/4-1" in size on the classifieds here. The cheapest price I had seen. Shipping costs wasn't bad either.

cold blood

Staff member
Also aren't P. cancerides cheap as well?
yes, typically anywhere in that $10-20 range.

My chromatus (2") is the most skittish t I own...I got it at 3/4" and while it eats well, I almost never get to see it (once only). It hates light and seems to know when I am watching. I kinda wish I had just gotten the A. geniculata I had originally intended.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, I think I've narrowed down my buying choices to this list. Make your recommendations based on it. The reptile show on Nov 1st is coming up so I might pick up one (or more) of these choices:

Acathoscurria geniculata
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma emilia
Grammostola pulchra
Lasiodora parahybana
Phormictopus cancerides

cold blood

Staff member
Okay, I think I've narrowed down my buying choices to this list. Make your recommendations based on it. The reptile show on Nov 1st is coming up so I might pick up one (or more) of these choices:

Acathoscurria geniculata
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma emilia
Grammostola pulchra
Lasiodora parahybana
Phormictopus cancerides
For me I'd say

B. albiceps
P. cancerides
B. emelia
A. genic
G. pulchra

All good choices.

Down a few hundred spots would be the LP. :tongue:

awiec

Arachnoprince

Acathoscurria geniculata
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma emilia
Grammostola pulchra
Lasiodora parahybana
Phormictopus cancerides
The LP you can pick up at any time of the year and people sometimes throw them in as freebies, same with B.albiceps. I would suggest all the rest as I enjoy large spiders and ones that have some spunk to them like the genic and phormic. Just be noted that A.gemiculata and P.canerides can be rather feisty/fast and the former has some nasty hairs.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I just came back from the reptile show. And guess what I bought? You really want to know? Alright. *drum roll*

Nothing.

Why? Because there was nothing there! :wall: I did get to chat with M and T exotics however, and I told him my username on Arachnoboards and he also said that he was breeding G. pulchras but it could take a year for babies to be hatched. Oh well, to the Internet dealers, away!