Share one unique bit of advice!!!

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Finding real bark and things in nature is a lot more accessible than you probably think, looks infinitely better than the stuff from the pet store and is free compared to the overpriced ridiculousness in the shops. $40 for a friggin' plastic hide? Are you kidding me? That's more than most tarantulas!!! Seriously. I found a bunch of fire wood at my folk's place and the bark peeled right off. I took some huge semi halves home and baked them at 300 degrees for fifteen minutes. I even got creative and used several smaller portions to make an awesome hide for my geniculata using my glue gun. RobC has some tutorials on his youtube channel going over specifically how he builds his arboreal hides and real bark backdrops for his vertically aligned enclosures. Here's his link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tarantulaguy1976

-ben

PS: sticky???

FireGuyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even the most docile and calm T can flip.

I have 3" poss. female B. vagans who is extraordinarily calm and sweet but she unfortunately has a habit of knocking over her water dish. So one day I was filling up her water dish and she shot across the enclosure threw up an impressive threat display and smacked the water dish. {D

Heres my pretty girl:

I have a male B.Vagans, it's as docile as a pet dog. I wonder if the females are usually more aggressive.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not ready to let this thread die!!!

Come on folks!!! Get some of your unique advice in here! I'm tired of reading the same pointers over and over and over again. Share something different to benefit us all!
-ben

yltanisaac

Arachnopeon
I use mealworms to feed my slings but some slings are very picky

SO when feeding picky eater slings in general (arboreal or terrestrial), I will squish the head then squeeze out some of its juice. Then I will stick the whole worm on the side of the container,

1. Attracts the T - Makes a huge target when it wiggles
2. Mold-Free - doesn't dirty the substrate with the mealworm juice which will otherwise induce mold growth,
3. Makes cleaning easier
4. Healthy fast-growing slings

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if your t is in premolt, you can increase the humidity to induce a molt.
Not true for drier species. I have found that some won't molt if there is a lot of moisture.

My advice is the less you "mess" with your T the happier you both will be.

Don't Panic.

Just about any plastic container is useful in T husbandry.

There is no such thing as over packing for shipping.

jallen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A couple of things I have learned the hard way.

1. The only Tarantula that wont bite is a dead one.
2. Its never a good idea to take your eye off of an open cage/container.
3. Vials are great for slings they don't need that much room and its always nice to not have to worry if they are still in there.
4. Get a camera with a large LCD screen so you can keep watch on what your taking a picture of and still see what your pic is going to look like. If you have ever gotten into taking close up shots on Tarantulas then I'm sure you know what I mean. Its an easy way to get tagged. If your not taking macro shots then use zoom and keep your distance it keeps the flash from being too bright and I'm sure causes a lot less stress to your T

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And then go back and check them again. ;)
+1

Everytime I feed, I'll close all the lids, walk out and stop and think "did I close all the cages" then go back and check. So far i've never left one open, but better safe then sorry!

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've not kept T's for very long but so far I've come across at least three things that I found very useful to learn:

1. If you're having trouble with mould, add a few (clean) woodlice to the enclosure and your troubles will be over. They actually eat the mould and leftovers, and I have tried this as a solution several times now. They also make a good snack for your T :)

2. Always think about how you will maintain the enclosure (remove leftovers/change water) when setting it up. A particular arrangement may look nice but could be a killer to clean once the spider has webbed. This is particularly true of tall, top opening, arboreal enclosures and fast defensive tarantulas...:evil:

3. Learn to take things easy and leave your T's be. Learn to ignore small numbers of mites/springtails. The happiest spider will probably be the one where you're not constantly changing and re-arraging stuff in its enclosure :)

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crickets smell really bad.
For a long time I wondered why people thought this. The tank I had set up for crickets didn't smell GOOD, but not especially bad either. Then at one point I cleaned out the tank and started over again - and after that they really smelled bad. The difference between the two set-ups? I got rid of the dermestids that had been living in the cricket cage. Some people here really objected to the dermestids that sooner or later show up in cricket cages, and routinely remove them. But as long as they lived in my cricket cage they scavenged all the dead crickets and kept the smell down.

Although we have some native species of dermestids, I think it's too late in the year to be able to find any. We've already had a couple freezing nights. So I'm hoping that at some point a few dermestids get mixed in with the crickets I buy.

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a long time I wondered why people thought this. The tank I had set up for crickets didn't smell GOOD, but not especially bad either. Then at one point I cleaned out the tank and started over again - and after that they really smelled bad. The difference between the two set-ups? I got rid of the dermestids that had been living in the cricket cage. Some people here really objected to the dermestids that sooner or later show up in cricket cages, and routinely remove them. But as long as they lived in my cricket cage they scavenged all the dead crickets and kept the smell down.

Although we have some native species of dermestids, I think it's too late in the year to be able to find any. We've already had a couple freezing nights. So I'm hoping that at some point a few dermestids get mixed in with the crickets I buy.
Oh what! i didnt know something else comes riding with them. Im gonna look them up now, thanks for that information i had no idear.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have never heard of this one..........raising humidity while molting i have heard, but not to induce it.
try it!!! before you knock it!

Yrah, also not convinced by changing humidity can induce a moult.

ummm, ditto!

anyway, my advice is when you have tons or hatchlings, or babies of a tiny size - but no supplier of micro crickets, then get one big cricket and cut it up, and feed several babies at ones. It works for mommy spiders feeding young so why not us.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try it!!! before you knock it!
Agreed, plus its not like you get home and say "I want you to moult, heres some moisture" and they moult. I recognize the signs of premoult, a few occasions Ive misted and the next day theres a freshly moulted T.
Coincidence? Maybe, but Im getting good at making this particular coincidence happen. lol

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
- Superworms and wooden tables/chairs do not mix and don't do well in the
fridge.

- waxworms are a PITA to keep alive! Moreso than crickets in my opinion. If you lost some crickets, check the bathrooms first.

- Apparently female crickets are already pregnant before their adult molt. :?

- a webbed-up hide means "DO NOT DISTURB!!"

- If it's started being more clumsy with climbing, doesn't always mean it's going to die. May have a molt on the way.

- funnel weavers like getting under a girl's clothes. {D

- DO NOT hug it and squeeze it, but if you'd like, call it George.

- You can't afford to have your feelings hurt because your T wants you to go away. If you want affection from a pet, get a dog.

- Jeruselum crickets and feeder crickets cannot be friends.

- Dermestid beetles really "dig in" to primate biscuits. Crickets love them too.

Okay, maybe that wasn't ONE bit of advice but pick one or a few. LOL!

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a new one I stumbled on to today. Use a medical syringe to moisten sub through holes in small hobby box setups. This also works awesome just for lightly providing water to the web of slings! It doesn't disturb yet they notice enough to almost immediately start drinking! Worked on two T's in a row tonight. It must feel like natural precipitation. Anyway. Try it and let us know if it worked for you!

-ben