Share one unique bit of advice!!!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Always have a flexible plan. I know what I will do when my pokie bolts before I take her out of the cage. I call it my SHOW plan.

(S)it on the ground.
(H)old onto something with your free hand if you feel like you might flinch that way you can direct your energy into the object you are holding and not in the direction of the spider. I tend to use a pillow or near by blanket.
(O)pen area
(W)atch the people around you as well as the T.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Learn your way around Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Those places used to scare the crap out of me and now my fiance and I can both enjoy the experience. It goes something like this: Fiance- looks for wedding stuff Me-pretends to look at wedding stuff while looking for T stuff
It all works out in the end I suppose!
-ben

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Set a budget before you go to reptile and/or tarantula expos. ;)
Excellent advice that I never, ever follow lol I usually set a budget then end up spending twice that amount.
Adding on to this.... Set a budget, go to the ATM, take out the amount of cash that equals your budget amount, then leave all credit/debit cards at home or in the possession of someone you're with! Someone who will NOT give in when you ask to have them back in order to go and get more money! :D

yltanisaac

Arachnopeon
Gut fill crickets with oranges = last longer, more pin heads
Gut fill mealworms with oatmeal + spirullina powder + milk power = grows to worms that are big and juicy

Check the lids before leaving T room/ area where you keep your Ts

In tropical areas, change your waterdish every 3 days to prevent mosquito breeding

Always make sure you have a clean plastic bag/container to throw all the food leftovers, mold, dropping etc. near your workplace/T area.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Practice saying loudly, "Heavens to Betsy, it bit my finger!"

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never ever "think" that you have the guts/courage or invincibility to hold a more defensive T or OW after you have been drinking.... It WONT do you or the T any good and you are much more likely to get bitten through clumsyness brought on by alcohol... I dont think the T would appreciate the fumes either lol

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if your t is in premolt, you can increase the humidity to induce a molt.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some T's won't "drop a sack" until you have successfully simulated the season changes

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L. parahybanas do not make good loofah sponges
lol lmao ... you made me spray my laptop screen with cola with that one .... lol

NEVER READ AB WHEN DRINKING FLUID AS THE CHANCES ARE YOU ARE GOING TO READ SOMETHING FUNNY THAT WILL MAKE YOU SPRAY THE LIQUID IN YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH LAUGHTER LOL ..... (types as still choking) ... lol :)

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
NEVER READ AB WHEN DRINKING FLUID AS THE CHANCES ARE YOU ARE GOING TO READ SOMETHING FUNNY THAT WILL MAKE YOU SPRAY THE LIQUID IN YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH LAUGHTER LOL ..... (types as still choking) ... lol :)
LOL yes, this is true, I've had to wipe coffee from my laptop a few times already {D

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fatter a T is before a molt, the bigger it's legspan will be after the molt.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if your t is in premolt, you can increase the humidity to induce a molt.
Very good. I took your lead on this one. I got some of that Exo-terra Forest Moss (the stuff that comes in a brick) and I put a nice damp clump of it in the corner of my B. smithi's enclosure. She's been in pre-molt nearly two weeks now.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very good. I took your lead on this one. I got some of that Exo-terra Forest Moss (the stuff that comes in a brick) and I put a nice damp clump of it in the corner of my B. smithi's enclosure. She's been in pre-molt nearly two weeks now.
let us know when she pops out.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yrah, also not convinced by changing humidity can induce a moult.

anyway, my advice is when you have tons or hatchlings, or babies of a tiny size - but no supplier of micro crickets, then get one big cricket and cut it up, and feed several babies at ones. It works for mommy spiders feeding young so why not us.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have never heard of this one..........raising humidity while molting i have heard, but not to induce it.
Although it does make perfect sense to increase the humidity in the days leading up to a imminent molt, as well as during.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
let us know when she pops out.
Whoa, I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but about 10 hours after I put the damp clump of forest moss in the enclosure, therefore raising the humidity... she molted! There might be something to your suggestion. I'll post pics of her new suit soon.

Interestingly there's another thread just started on the weather's effect on T behavior.

Last edited: