Considering orange headed roaches ??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not many photos on my phone rn. But in about a week or so I'll have access to my hard drive.

Your location works too, whether you leave it outside the bin or inside the bin doesn't matter--as long as you fix it to one point at the hottest part of the mat, which is usually the middle.

The reason I put it on the side is because I am maximum efficiency cheapo and use one heat mat for two colonies. (I have the heatmat attached to one bin, but both bins are in contact with it)

[BIN1]🔥[BIN2] <--- like this, a bin/heatmat sandwich with a creamy and hot roach filling
Yeah that’s not really an option here I can’t stack the bins beside each other . That’s hilarious one Matt heats both??
I got around 40-50 oranges but I don’t got a clue how many are females , and males and some are still nymphs . Runners are kinda small for my large Ts or I’d get a colony of those .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I do it for whole shelves too. One shelf on the rack will have 32" of heat tape and every snake bin will share the same heating element all on the same thermostat

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I do it for whole shelves too. One shelf on the rack will have 32" of heat tape and every snake bin will share the same heating element all on the same thermostat
I’ve noticed snake keepers can be very efficient with using heat tape and elements. The racks they slide out is it usually one Matt per snake ? Or one do multiple like you have it setup .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
It is one heating element cut to length, usually 24-48", that attaches to a thermostat with a probe and that heats up one shelf.

Each shelf has it's own length of heating element and probe all connected to one HerpStat.

Once you get to the point of having shelves, it'd be inefficient to use one mat per bin.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It is one heating element cut to length, usually 24-48", that attaches to a thermostat with a probe and that heats up one shelf.

Each shelf has it's own length of heating element and probe all connected to one HerpStat.

Once you get to the point of having shelves, it'd be inefficient to use one mat per bin.
Yeah when I was looking up using the mats I saw some video were a snake keeper used one heat pad per snake , that’s where I got the info at . Clearly like you said it’s ineffective .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Inefficient not ineffective.
How many week until my oranges have nymphs ?? I’ve witnessed mating once , had adults a few months now no babies yet . They eat plenty.. care sheets say 30 days but it seems longer.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Got my first nymphs not sure we’re the rest are probably scattered around . Tiny little thing !! :D
IMG_3709.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Is an ant or two a threat to a roach colony ? No way the rest can invade or find their way to the bin. What could I use to keep ants from climbing in my roach bin??? as a barrier?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I had ants find my colony I tried petroleum jelly to keep them out but they just climbed right over it. Will the orange roaches just eat the ants 🐜??? Or should I go and clean my enclosure and remove the ants right now? I’m doing an emergency rehouse then moving the roaches to my basement. IMG_3947.jpeg

Last edited:

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Clean up whatever they're going after, probably uneaten food or dead roaches? Remember to only feed what your roaches will eat in a day or two to prevent flies and ants.

Then go after the ant nest itself. Follow some scouts back and once you find the nest and trail, bait them with something else like a dead roach or some sugar water to establish a stronger presence, then when ants start to gather switch the sugar water out with terro liquid poison that they carry into the nest.

You could use boric acid or diatomaceous earth if the nest is outside but that stuff would also murder all your roaches and T's so I wouldn't use it inside with your pets.

The longer you wait with ants and let them do what they want the worse it gets

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Clean up whatever they're going after, probably uneaten food or dead roaches? Remember to only feed what your roaches will eat in a day or two to prevent flies and ants.

Then go after the ant nest itself. Follow some scouts back and once you find the nest and trail, bait them with something else like a dead roach or some sugar water to establish a stronger presence, then when ants start to gather switch the sugar water out with terro liquid poison that they carry into the nest.

You could use boric acid or diatomaceous earth if the nest is outside but that stuff would also murder all your roaches and T's so I wouldn't use it inside with your pets.

The longer you wait with ants and let them do what they want the worse it gets
Went outside no clue were there coming from but I sprayed a little bit leading up to my room . I moved the roaches and cleaned the bin out . I gotta give them less food from Now on . Orange roaches are pickier than Dubias .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Update , I had a few nymphs but zero since whats making it so hard to breed so I need to feed off or separate more mature males??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Inefficient not ineffective.
You kept orange roaches before I can’t seem to get them to breed only one female Produced anything. I am not using substrate but should I bump temps up to 90??
@HooahArmy I can’t get many nymphs just one female had them any tips ? Can’t figure out what im doing wrong . I’d add substrate but I won’t be able to sift the babies .. IMG_4075.jpeg

Last edited:

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I've never kept oranges, from what I hear they need humidity, and from experience feeders + humidity = stink

I only have dubias, red runners, and dermistid beetles now

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've never kept oranges, from what I hear they need humidity, and from experience feeders + humidity = stink

I only have dubias, red runners, and dermistid beetles now
How big are runners , I’ve been told they’re too smal for a big lp but I have smaller Ts also. Although until my dubia colony isn’t producing enough I don’t need another species . Runners breed quicker than oranges. So i should mist my oranges ??
I’ll raise the humidity see if that helps.

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
@Ultum4Spiderz
Hey bud! If you only have a single producing female, you're going to have trouble getting that colony up. There could be a number of reasons why she and the other ladies aren't increasing your population. She/they could be too young at the time, stressed, egg sacks might be aborted or damaged, or the nymphs die out before you can see them.
While every person is going to have their own special roach population recipe, I know my mum keeps her colony at a ratio of 1 male to 5 females. We have a ton of roaches, and I'll guess there was at least 10 males the last time I looked, so in totality they are bound to be breeding plentifully. Having just a few females with too many males can be stressful, and small colonies are difficult to get off the ground. If you can, keep the temperature just as it is and try to get more ladies so they notably outnumber the males. This lets the ladies mingle so they're not be persistently chased by amorous males and allows the males to have their pick of ladies who are receptive. Keep your setup too as it is; the roaches won't bother eggsacks or nymphs unless they're stressed.
I started my own colony way back in the days with 3 males and about 12 females, and it took off before I had to sell them and move. You don't need too many to start up a group, but you definitely need more than 1 viable female!

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Runners max out around 1-1.5" and are nowhere near as substantial as a dubia but definitely a step up from a cricket.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@Ultum4Spiderz
Hey bud! If you only have a single producing female, you're going to have trouble getting that colony up. There could be a number of reasons why she and the other ladies aren't increasing your population. She/they could be too young at the time, stressed, egg sacks might be aborted or damaged, or the nymphs die out before you can see them.
While every person is going to have their own special roach population recipe, I know my mum keeps her colony at a ratio of 1 male to 5 females. We have a ton of roaches, and I'll guess there was at least 10 males the last time I looked, so in totality they are bound to be breeding plentifully. Having just a few females with too many males can be stressful, and small colonies are difficult to get off the ground. If you can, keep the temperature just as it is and try to get more ladies so they notably outnumber the males. This lets the ladies mingle so they're not be persistently chased by amorous males and allows the males to have their pick of ladies who are receptive. Keep your setup too as it is; the roaches won't bother eggsacks or nymphs unless they're stressed.
I started my own colony way back in the days with 3 males and about 12 females, and it took off before I had to sell them and move. You don't need too many to start up a group, but you definitely need more than 1 viable female!
I removed 7-8 males it looks like the ratio is better now . Maybe my roaches are too young so no babies yet .
Runners max out around 1-1.5" and are nowhere near as substantial as a dubia but definitely a step up from a cricket.
Half the size of dubia but better than orange roaches if they don’t start having more babies . Lats can jump though I hear are they harder to contain .
What’s male dubia vs lat size difference?