Share one unique bit of advice!!!

Moultmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most important tool in a tarantula keeper's arsenal is a long handled soft-bristled paintbrush. I use it for everything from manipulating crickets that are into playing hide and seek rather than see and be eaten, to gently nudging the T's if they're in the way of enclosure maintenance. Even the most aggressive of T's can be calmed by the gentle stroke of a paintbrush. I am working on a handling video showing proper use of a paintbrush when handling T's as there are do's and dont's. Nice OBT Jay and Erica. How's the handling coming along? It's Don btw.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WHAT A GREAT THREAD! :clap:

I guess the best advice I've learned from this site is that if the T in question disappears for days in his burrow, as long as he isn't emitting a malodorous pong, he's okay whatever he's doing, so chill and don't worry about it. :D

Too bad the rule of this thread is to mention just ONE thing, because the list of good advice/info/intelligence/ tips/hints/disabuse/counsel/sympathy/empathy I've gleaned from this site could go on for days {D

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
* T's aren't "just bugs" they have their own personalities and you grow fond of them

** Pokies, OBT's, and other speedy old worlds are not as bad a they seem to be especaily if you go slow and don't spook them

psst Killy, did you get the LP and L. Klugi??

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Oooh thought of another one! Everyday items take on new meaning. Peanut butter lids, bottle caps..........you will gain a collection of them!:D
Not even ten minutes ago I was staring at this container my side-salad came in, and thinking, "what could I house in this thing??" {D {D

Lucille

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
30mm plastic petri dishes make great water dishes for Ts and they are shallow enough that crickets can climb out.

nurunuru

Arachnopeon
There was some talk of methods for making tiny holes in a container to be used for slings. The cheapest method I've come across (believe I saw it in the tarantula keeper's guide) is to unfold a paper clip and make it into a long U shape. Then grip it in a pair of long-nosed pliers, heat it over a flame till it's hot and stick it through the container. Repeat ad infinitum.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The most important tool in a tarantula keeper's arsenal is a long handled soft-bristled paintbrush.......
Chopsticks work great as well.(plus you have an excuse to go eat Chinese:D )

We have found that sometimes the Ts seem to dislike a paintbrush, but the chopstick is just fine.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not even ten minutes ago I was staring at this container my side-salad came in, and thinking, "what could I house in this thing??" {D {D
We got one of our enclosures from a yard sale, a little glass jar with a lid. Worked great for our N. chromatus after his tiny phase.(which went by incredibly fast!!)

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

We have found that sometimes the Ts seem to dislike a paintbrush, but the chopstick is just fine.
Haha for sure, chopsticks are good. I use them in place of tweezers (yes Asian).

Moultmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

The reason I use a paintbrush is because there's never the chance you might injure the T as there is with tweezers and chopsticks. More than anything I use my bare hands but when a tool is required I use the brush.

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you keep your Ts in a small walk-in closet and you use an electric floor heater to keep them warm on cold winter nights...don't neglect to turn it off in the morning. (timers are good tools) John

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that this could be an interesting thread. What I'm asking for is simple. Name one very valuable lesson or bit of advice you could offer the community that you personally learned first hand! No books, no friends, experts, etc. Just an experience that you learned from. ...
Don't believe anything a pet shop tells you unless you read it either here or on the ATS forum first! (Even then, if it sounds the least bit hokey, ASK FIRST!)

Well, you said "No books, ..." :D

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tricky molts

my first t molted and i thought the t was the molt and that it was dead but i decided 2 wait a few days and see if it moved. it didnt, so i thought for sure it was dead when removing it i noticed it was hollow and the abdomen was busted out so i took a peek under his hide and that little guy came flyin out!;)
If your t is on its back dont flip it over!

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
avice

Use common sense and you should be fine with the OBT's and P. Regalis. I've had each, and mine have not been near as difficult as advertised.

XEightLegsX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The most important tool in a tarantula keeper's arsenal is a long handled soft-bristled paintbrush. I use it for everything from manipulating crickets that are into playing hide and seek rather than see and be eaten, to gently nudging the T's if they're in the way of enclosure maintenance. Even the most aggressive of T's can be calmed by the gentle stroke of a paintbrush. I am working on a handling video showing proper use of a paintbrush when handling T's as there are do's and dont's. Nice OBT Jay and Erica. How's the handling coming along? It's Don btw.
Hey Don. Whats up my friend? I didnt know you were on here. i can only handle my obt with in the first 48 hours after she molts. Then shes back to a crazed killer!:mad:

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tupperware is better than tanks in large numbers. LOL. I learned this the hard way. Now I can't stand having tanks in my T Room for T's or Scorpions.

The bigger totes make great places to keep little containers to keep slings warm. I did it then started see where other people where doing it too. I also learned by doing this and setting a container of water on the spot where the heat mat is it keeps the humidity up inside the big tote and all the containers. :wall: Duhh big incubator. LOL. {D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Buy some long tweezers so you can pick up poop or food bolus from the T's tank. It's better to reach with the tweezers into their tank than with your hand. :D
Have at least two pairs on tongs, cause sometimes one pair isn't enough

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
psst Killy, did you get the LP and L. Klugi??
:D Hey Kuro ... I got the LP, but I opted for a GBB ... this time ... next time around (STOP ME BEFORE I COME HOME WITH MORE !!!) will most likely be a b emilia and ... yes, a KLUGI !!! ;)

So here's the best advice I've found on this site so far ... DON'T FIGHT THE ADDICTION ... IT'S FUTILE!!! {D {D (especially with pushers like Kuro encouraging the habit hahahahhaha ....)